Thursday, May 04, 2006

How To Force an Elevator to Go Straight to Your Floor Without Stopping

Elevator_buttonsNot sure if this works, but it’s interesting.

1) Get in the elevator.
2) Decide which floor you want to go to.
3) Extend both index fingers.
4) Press the button for the floor that you want to go to, and the door close button at the same time, and hold them down for five seconds.
5) Laugh at all of the people that are waiting on an elevator while you go right past them.

This doesn't work on all elevators, but it works on all Otis models, and a few miscellaneous others. On the Otis models, it isn't required to hold the button combination down for five seconds- only that they are pressed simultaneously. I don't know about any others- maybe that's where the five second thing matters.

Comments: 

  • with no door close button, I've seen pushing both the current and destination floors work...on an older one
  • Another trick someone taught me is that if you pick the wrong floor, pushing (not simultaneously obviously) all of the buttons will clear the list of floors selected, and you just have to hit the one you want. I'm not sure if it works on all brands, or just the one in my office.
  • I don't know, there's an Otis elevator in my dorm and this doesn't work.

via

No comments: