Five out of nine instances of automotive maintenance performed by Jiffy Lube were fraudulent according to this report by Joel Grover of KNBC in Los Angeles. I don’t know how old this tape is, but it does make you wonder. I’m sure this isn’t limited to just Jiffy Lube. I’m also sure there are a lot of reputable auto service shops around too. It’s just hard to know which ones are legit.
Here are two parts to the KNBC 4 series.
Update: I received this email from Bob Cahill, Regional Director of Oil Express Inc.
I read your blog this morning and allow me to add something. I work for Jiffy Lube and was appalled at this myself when it happened two years ago.
There have been many individuals terminated who were responsible for this and other measures were taken nationwide to prevent this from happening again.
I will not get into details but have attached a response that indicates some of those measures.
I really feel that the vast majority of Jiffy Lube employees have their customers’ best interest at heart.
Please share this information with your readers.
Also – the safest airline to fly is the one that had a recent accident – they are more closely watched. I feel the same about Jiffy Lube. There are a lot of measures in place to ensure the customer gets what they pay for.
Thanks for reading and we would appreciate you giving Jiffy Lube the opportunity to serve you.
The news reports about Jiffy Lube that took place in May of 2006 focused on just five service centers in the Los Angeles market. There are thousands of Jiffy Lube service centers across the country and what was reported in those stores is not representative of the entire system.
Jiffy Lube has investigated the situation and has implemented a plan of corrective actions that include:
- After the initial investigation several Jiffy Lube employees were terminated for failing to follow Jiffy Lube policies and procedures.
- The five stores involved in the news reports were closed, re-trained on approved Jiffy Lube policies and procedures, and then opened for business.
- Los Angeles area Jiffy Lube stores are being randomly audited to ensure adherence to approved policies and procedures.
- An intensive mystery shopping program has been implemented to ensure adherence to approved policies and procedures.
- Cameras allowing customers and management to watch vehicles being serviced are being installed in these and other area stores.
- Additional controls have been implemented to audit the stores on their adherence to approved policies and procedures.
- An employee tips line has been instituted to give employees a way to report concerns in the work place.